A new study, published in the journal BMJ Open, suggests long-term use of Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) available on prescription and over the counter under brand names Prilosec, Prevacid and Zegerid can shorten your life.
The study concluded: “Emerging evidence suggests that PPIs may boost the risk of tissue damage arising from normal cellular processes, known as oxidative stress, as well as the shortening of telomeres, which sit on the end of chromosomes and perform a role similar to the plastic tips on the end of shoelaces.”
In the UK 50 Million prescriptions for PPIs are handed out each year with many repeat refills. Are the medications dealing with the root cause of Heartburn, Acid Reflux and GERD?
The truth about Heartburn, Acid Reflux and GERD
No sufferer is experiencing symptoms because of a lack medication. The aetiology or causes share one or more of the following underlying mechanisms:
- Low stomach acid causing bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine
- Bacterial overgrowth in the bowel can, in turn, lead to carbohydrate malabsorption, increasing intra-abdominal pressure and causing GERD
- An imbalance between “good” and “bad” microbes in the gut
- A permeable gut barrier (leaky gut)
- Chronic bacterial, parasitic, or fungal infections (such as H. pylori, Blastocystis hominis, Candida albicans)
- Low stomach acid or digestive enzyme production
- Sensitivity, allergy, or intolerance to certain foods
- Impaired communication between the gut and the brain
Here at Prohab, we are using a Functional Health approach to uncover the why and identify for each individual an action plan that incorporates restoring gut health and removes the root cause of Heartburn, Acid Reflux and GERD.
Want to know more about the role your gut microbes plays in your health? Download our free Mircobiome Report
Leave a reply →